Employee’s State Insurance (ESI) is a self-financing scheme for Indian workers which covers health insurance and social security. ESI comes under Ministry of Labor & Employment in India and functions as an independent corporation. The ESI Corporation thus manages the funds which are regulated by the guidelines and regulations of the ESI Act. 1948. This act supervises the provision of medical and cash benefits to employees and their families through their comprehensive network of hospitals and dispensaries all over India.
Benefits of ESI
Registration for Employees
Employees registered under the ESI scheme are entitled to various benefit. Employees and their family members can avail medical treatment including surgical and obstetric treatment as well. Supply of medicines, super specialty consultations, etc. can also be availed. Sick pay benefits also included. Thus, it is advisable for employees to get registered under ESI scheme.
Procedure for both Employer & Employee
Registration of Employer:
Any employer having the strength of more than 10 employees are requiring to take up the ESI Registration.
Within 15 days of the filing of the Employer’s registration form (Form-01), the payroll process outsourcing companies are expected to obtain an Identification number or Code from the Regional office. This figure will be used in correspondence related to the scheme.
Registration of Employee:
At the time of joining the Private Limited Company, an employee required to fill the Declaration form i.e. Form1 along with a copy of the family photo which the employer will be submitting at the ESI branch office.
Within 3 months a permanent photo ID is provided to the employee and will be provided an insurance number for identification purpose under the scheme.
Once registered, the ESI registration can be transferred if the employee ever switches the organization.
Documents required for ESI Registration:
- Documents of the establishment of the company.
- Evidence supporting date of commencement of operations/business.
- List of partners, stakeholders, directors along with necessary information and proof of address.
- Copy of PAN
- Identity proof like voter id/passport
- List of employees
Wage Limit under ESI Registration:
- Employees earning ₹21,000 per month or less are applicable for ESI contribution. Employees with higher wages are exempt.
- Wage limit for Employees with ‘Disability’ is ₹25000 per month.
- Employee contribution: 1.75% of total salaries.
- Employer Contribution: 4.75% of total wages.
- We at PeopleSkills HRtech
- Services Pvt. Ltd. provide ESI Registration Services and complete payroll & compliance service.